About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! :) My name is Kristene, and I am 18 years old. This is my second year at YC. I live in Black Canyon City, which i about an hour south of Prescott, which is why I prefer online classes. I work at Rock Springs Cafe, so if your ever around stop in and say hi! Well I guess thats covers the basics. Were all going to have a great semester! :)

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tim O'Brien Response

“On the Rainy River” was my favorite story out of the three short stories. I feel like this story was one of the most important moments in O’Brien’s life. This story shows the significance of how hard Tim’s decision to start and join the army or running away to Canada was. Tim had the choice to stay and fight for a war that he strongly disagreed with, or run to Canada and disgrace his whole family. Tim didn’t feel like he belonged in war, he had a full ride scholarship to Harvard and potential to be something great. Running away from the war was the only thing worst then the war. Tim wants to make himself happy, but also his family, but how can he do both? He must choose, and I feel he made the right choice by staying and excepting the fact he was being drafted. I understand what Tim is feeling; no one wants to be forced into a war, especially not one they disagree with. I think disgracing your whole family and town is far worse than going to fight for county though. Tim was smart and could have taken a million different paths in life, but this one choose him and running from it would just make his life worse then he thinks the war could have made it. Staying those six days with Elroy was the best thing he could have done. It was like the road lead him straight to whom he didn’t to be with. Even without words or full knowledge of the situation, Elroy helped Tim more than anyone could have. In the story it seems like Tim never even gave consideration to what going into the army could do for him. The army could have made him a better person, a stronger person then he could have done on his own. The army could have opened doors he wouldn’t have even dreamed of, obviously because now look, he’s a famous author because of his stories about the war and his life. I believe that he made the right choose in staying and redeeming his conscience for his own personal being. In the end he probably made himself and family very proud.


Tim O'Brien Pictures, Images and Photos


I found this neat little website with quotes, books, events, and all kinds of stuff on it, and Tim O'Brien has quit a few nice ones. Check it out. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/search/search?q=tim+o%27brien&search[source]=goodreads&search_type=quotes&tab=quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment